It’s always good to reuse and recycle. But in terms of reusing items made with lokta paper manufactured in Nepal, the action assumes new meaning. In our 9th year partnering with Nepalese paper makers, Aveda is already producing paper for gift wrap, 禮盒, bags, as well as other giftable items through the holidays.
Since the earthquake in 2015, the partnership has been particularly poignant since it is helps create income for longer than 5,500 women*-that are, consequently, helping their families rebuild following the devastation.
Papermaking is the best way to support rural, impoverished regions of Nepal, because the shrub that yields the bark (Daphne bholua and Daphne papyracea) grows in communities where tasks are scarce. Equally impressive is the fact that the lokta shrub regenerates after cutting-making sure that this important economic endeavor is sustainable and preserves the fragile forest ecology of mountainous Nepal.
Needless to say, while supporting a rewarding cause-by buying either among 12 pre-packaged Aveda gift boxes or by building a customized one starting in November-forces you to feel good, too. Lokta paper is amongst the world’s top quality acid-free papers. It is stated the paper lasts for one thousand years if protected from sunlight. In reality, it’s so sturdy that the Nepalese government uses it for archiving important documents.
Inside the spirit of continuing the legacy of Nepalese lokta paper, we’ve come up with a few new ways to use your lokta boxes, to enable them to survive in your home for years after you’ve emptied them of their gifts.
1. Store photos: Use a stack of them to stash pictures. Your three-by-fives will fit nicely within the medium box, while your four-by-sixes will rest comfortably in the large box. Don’t forget to keep a label on the outside in the box identifying the events where you took your shots.
2. Gift cookies: We swear that sweets taste sweeter when presented inside a pretty box.
3. Make a window garden: Line a box with a plastic bag and poke a few small holes at the bottom of your bag. Fill the bag with soil and drop in several seeds-after the plant outgrows the box, transplant.
4. Craft coasters: Trace the foot of a 64dexkpky drinking glass onto the lower box. Eliminate the circles and make use of them to support smaller glasses.
5. Create wall art: Flip over the lids from the 伴手禮 and paint them or cover them in photos-then tack them into the walls for memorable living-room décor.